Motorway toll Luxembourg 2023 → Price, how to pay, toll road sections
- There are no tolls on motorways in Luxembourg.
- Tolls are mandatory only for vehicles over 12 tonnes (so-called Eurovignette).
- There are a total of 6 motorways in Luxembourg with a total length of 150 km.
Vignette Luxembourg 2023
You do not need a vignette to drive on Luxembourg motorways and there are no tolls.
Map of motorways in Luxembourg
An up-to-date map of the Luxembourg motorways can be found at Cita.lu.
Luxembourg tunnel tolls 2023
There are no toll tunnels in Luxembourg.
Luxembourg motorways: Speed limit…
Speed limits in Luxembourg
Limits for cars up to 3,5 tonnes and motorcycles:
- Urban area: 50 km/h
- Rural area: 90 km/h
- On the motorways: 130 km/h
Limits for cars up to 3.5 tonnes with trailer, trucks over 3.5 tonnes and buses:
- Urban area: 50 km/h
- Rural area: 75 km/h
- On the motorways: 90 km/h
Driving fines in Luxembourg
In Luxembourg, a points system applies to both local and foreign drivers.
Each driver has a 12-point account. In the case of committing a traffic offence, the driver is deducted an appropriate number of points according to its severity.
The penalty points deducted are kept on the licence record for 3 years and the loss of all 12 points during this period results in the driver being automatically disqualified from driving for 1 year.
Fines collected by the Luxembourg police on the spot can be paid in cash or by credit card.
- Running a red light or failing to stop at a STOP sign – £125145 € + 2 penalty points
- Driving without seat belts fastened – £6474 € + 1 penalty point
- Using a mobile phone while driving – £6474 €
- Driving under influence of alcohol – £125145 € – max. £8 61910000 € + 2 – 4 penalty points
Speeding fines in Luxembourg 2023
Luxembourgers drive very well and generally do not like breaking the rules. Therefore, pay attention to the observance of the regulations as well, their violation will almost certainly be punished. While the fines are not staggeringly high, patrols are present everywhere at all times. Also quite specific is the judicial resolution of each speeding violation by a certain amount. You can be punished with a driving ban in Luxembourg for very high speeds or repeated offences. Because it is a small country, radars are almost everywhere.
In Luxembourg, some regulations might be different from those in your country, for example, lighting is not mandatory or a first aid kid is not required.
Speeding in the urban area
- 4-15 km/h: £4249 €
- 16-28 km/h: £125145 €
- over 29 km/h: depends on the court judgment (fine, withdrawal of driving licence, imprisonment)
Speeding in the rural area
- 4-24 km/h: £4249 €
- 25-50 km/h: £125145 €
- over 51 km/ h: depends on the court judgment (fine, withdrawal of driving licence, imprisonment)
Speeding on the highway
- 5-30 km/h: £4249 €
- 31-70 km/h: £125145 €
- over 71 km/h: depends on the court judgment (fine, withdrawal of driving licence, imprisonment)
Driving in Luxembourg 2023
Mandatory car equipment in Luxembourg
- Reflective vest
- Warning triangle
- First aid kit (for trucks, tractors and semi-trailers only)
- Fire extinguisher (for trucks, buses, vans, tractors and semi-trailers over 3.5 tonnes only)
- Safety helmet is mandatory for motorcycle drivers and their passengers
The use of winter tires has been mandatory in Luxembourg since 2012 when the road is covered with snow or ice.
There is no limit to the use of winter tires. However, the Luxembourg Automobile Club recommends their use when temperatures consistently drop below 7°C.
All-season tires are also allowed, but drivers should be aware that they are not as effective in winter.
Winter tires should be marked with the letters MS, M+S or M&S (mud and snow) and the mountain symbol with a snowflake.
The minimum tread depth is 1.6 mm, but the police recommend changing the tires if the tread depth is less than 4 mm.
In the case of snow or ice, snow chains can be used.
Studded tires are permitted from December 1 to March 31 for motor vehicles with or without trailers with a total permissible weight not exceeding 3.5 tonnes, buses, special vehicles. They can also be used in other months and in places where there is a current risk of frost and snow on the road. Studded tires must be used on all 4 wheels (for a four-wheeled vehicle), in the case of twin wheels (for trucks) it is sufficient to use them on one pair of wheels. Vehicles fitted with studded tires are subject to the following speed limits: max. 90 km/h on the motorways and max. 70 km/h on other roads.
The use of seat belts is mandatory for the driver and all other passengers in the vehicle.
Kids in the car
Children under the age of 3 must be placed in an approved child restraint system – a child car seat (except for children transported by bus).
A rear-facing child car seat can only be placed on the front seat if the front airbag in the vehicle can be deactivated.
Children from 3 to 17 years up to a height of 1.50 m must be placed in a suitable child seat. Children over 36 kg can wear a seat belt or lap belt of a 3-point seat belt, only in the rear seat of the vehicle.
Driving and drinking
The maximum legal limit for blood alcohol levels is 0,5 per mille with the following exceptions:
- 0,2 per mille – novice driver (holder of a driving licence for less than 2 years)
- 0,2 per mille – professional driver (taxi, bus, ambulance, assistance vehicle, lorry, combination vehicle with trailer, driving school instructor, accompanying person, who trains student drivers)
High fines are imposed for driving under the influence of alcohol £3945 € to max. £8 61910000 €.
Daytime driving lights
Motorcycles must have lights on 24 hours a day.
Daytime running lights for cars are not mandatory in Luxembourg but are recommended for all vehicles.
It is mandatory to use dipped-beam headlights in tunnels.
😃 carVertical: Car control with 10% discount
You can check the complete history of the car in minutes thanks to the carVertical site. To verify it is enough to know the VIN code of the vehicle. Once verified via our link, you will receive an exclusive 10% discount.
Within a fee, you can check if the car has been reported stolen, mileage development, damage reports, MOT information and estimated maintenance costs.Check the car with 10% discount